Although it can be used in more applications, its primary task is web development. Digital Graphiks (DG), one of the most reliable PHP development companies in Dubai, found that the main advantage of this language system compared to others is that it is a free code programming language. This means that any developer modifies or generates the PHP code that he needs by making it unique.
This informative piece of writing by Web Development Company ‘DG’ is going to talk about the importance of PHP to your website in the following body.
The basic requirements for a file to be declared in PHP are the following:
- The file must have the extension.PHP in the name.
- The document must be started with <? PHP” and must be closed with ?>.
- To implement PHP code on the web, it must be composed of predefined functions that have to have the basic structure provided by the language for its correct operation.
On the other hand, PHP statements can also be used within an html file. To do this, simply use the opening and closing statements of PHP (“<? PHP” and “?>”) and put the function we want to use inside.
Differences between PHP 5 and 7
- PHP 7 is much faster than PHP 5. All pages that have PHP 7 will gain in performance between 25% and 70%. Even if the website is developed in WordPress, these performance percentages can be higher.
- New types of variables are established. The variables type int, float, bool and string can be coercive or strict. The difference is that the coercive type accepts in a function of one type of value, another type of value (for example a string that is a number) and the strict type must contain exactly the value required by that function (the string is a text type function and putting a number would show error)
- Return declarations. We can decide what type of data we want the function we are using to return.
- Spaceship operator: <=>. Through this operator we can compare the result of two functions, whose result will be 0 if both results are equal, 1 if the result on the left is greater and -1 if the result on the right is greater.
- Null fusion operator. This operator will allow us to simplify the functions that had the proof of existence through the isset () function, bypassing that function.
What Version of PHP Does My Website Have?
Two different ways to know which version of PHP your website is:
- Looking in the Cpanel of your web hosting. This is the easiest way. If we are not able to see it, we can get in touch with the hosting service or by asking the person or company that is in charge of staying or maintaining the web. You can find out the server version you are using and tell you exactly what it is.
- By creating a file. This option is somewhat more complex, you must handle some text editor well and have access to the ftp of your website. Follow the steps below to find out:
- Open a text editor and copy the following function PHP <? PHP PHPinfo (); ?>
- Save this file with the name infoversion.PHP (the name can be any other, the important thing is the extension)
- Open the file path of our website and upload the file infoversion.PHP. If we are using WordPress, this location will be where the wp-config files and the wp-content folder are.
- Enter our domain in any browser and call the file we just uploaded. In our case, this URL would be like this: https://www.mydomain.com/infoversion.PHP (if another name has been chosen, call the file with our chosen name).
- Once our version is working and our version is known, we can easily delete the file we have uploaded.
The PHP in WordPress
The PHP is part of the vast majority of the files contained in both the WordPress itself and in plugins and templates. This makes it very important that everything is as up-to-date as possible (the version of PHP, WordPress, plugins and template).
WordPress, in addition to using basic PHP functions, also has its own hooks, methods and classes that web developers use to make different functionalities than the platform brings by default.
Let’s give an example: How is it possible that having all the WordPress pages the same structure (even cloning the entire page), each one has its own title and its own content?
Well, for that WordPress what it does is use the function the_title (); to show the title and the_content (); to show the content according to the page we are. With these simple functions already predefined in WordPress, we will be allowed to show all the titles and contents within our website.
How to Update the PHP Version
The version of PHP must be updated directly from the server. There is no way to do it through the WordPress backend or some plugin. To do this, we must enter the administration panel of our server and look for the tab that indicates PHP. Once in this tab, we can change the WordPress version without any problem.
But well, before making the decision to update the WordPress version of our website, we must ensure that we have everything updated (plugins, template and WordPress). If you have any modified add-on, any custom development or something not updated, we run the risk of an error on the web. In this case, we can go back to an earlier version without problems.
As a recommendation, it would be most optimal to establish the most recent version of PHP.
So, stay with digital marketing services provided by DG and get all the updates and new trends about the digital world.